I love the taste of marinara and spaghetti sauce! The only problem is, most ‘foods’ that use a delicious red sauce are heavy pasta dishes. I decided to change that recently, when I made my favorite ‘turkey meat sauce’, by stuffing it in a red pepper, which I had a feeling would pair well with the tomatoes in the sauce.
These stuffed red peppers turned out even better than I had imagined~ and they ended up being my lunch for the next three days in a row! I couldn’t get enough of this filling and satisfying dish, and I was thrilled at how easy it was to prepare, (not to mention I had lunch ready for the next three days!) I hope you and your family enjoy these easy and delicious Italian-Style Stuffed Red Peppers as much as I do!
1 lb lean ground turkey (Or lean ground beef)
3 red bell peppers
2 cups spaghetti sauce
1 tsp basil/oregano seasoning (or any blend of italian herbs)
1tsp garlic powder (or 1 garlic clove, pressed)
1/2 tsp salt/pepper
1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach (or veggie of choice),(de-thawed and squeezed dry with paper towel)
2 tbs grated parmesan cheese + 6 tbs to garnish over the top of each pepper
Optional: 1 tsp (or 1 packet) low calorie sweetener of choice to put in the sauce~ (I like my sauce slightly sweet!)
1. Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil, (for easy clean up), coat with non-stick cooking spray. Wash red peppers, and cut around the stem to remove.
2. Remove the stems.
3. Cut peppers in half length-wise, and remove the seeds and ribs inside the peppers. Set peppers on baking pan.
4. Meanwhile, cook ground turkey in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Stir and break up the turkey while it’s cooking. When turkey is almost completely cooked through, add the sauce and seasonings to the pan. Stir and continue to cook until the turkey is completely cooked (when it is no longer pink). Add the spinach and parmesan and stir until everything is well combined.
5. Scoop 1/2 cup of the turkey mixture into each pepper.
6. Sprinkle 1 tbs parmesan over each pepper (or another low fat shredded cheese, such as mozzarella).
7. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until cheese is melted, and lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven, let cool, and enjoy!!!
Note: Peppers stay good in a Tupperware container in the fridge for up to one week! (They freeze well too~ which makes for a great quick and healthy meal!)